Questions to Ask When Hiring a Roofing Contractor
A high quality roof is one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make as a homeowner. Because roof installation and repair requires preciseness, even a tiny blunder could cause the entire structure to collapse, resulting in severe damage. Therefore, it’s critical that your roofing contractor possess the proper knowledge and experience needed for installing or repairing your roof.
Furthermore, a high quality roofer should be able to appropriately answer any questions you may have. When choosing roofing contractors, it’s critical that they possess the right qualities. Here are of the basic questions you should ask when hiring a roofer.
Does the Roofing Contractor Carry Insurance?
Probably, the most significant consideration when selecting a roofer is whether or not the contractor or company carries insurance. Keep in mind that roofers are more at risk for accidents than most workers as they can fall or suffer from other types of injuries.
When a roofer doesn’t have insurance, then it’s the homeowner who’s responsible for the loss. That’s why it’s imperative that a roofing contractor carries adequate insurance, as well as shows you the pertinent paperwork as evidence for insurance. Additionally, a roofer should have worker’s compensation. Never sign a contract before you see proof of insurance.
Are You Licensed and Bonded for Repairing Roofs?
A good roofer should have the appropriate contractor’s license to install and repair roofs. Don’t just take a contractor’s word on this, but have them provide proof of a roofing contractor’s license.
Inquire about bonding capacity. Some roofers aren’t able to obtain bonds because of high construction cost percentages or because of their low limits. But the most common reason is that a contractor is considered risky because of faulty warranties. Ask roofers you’re interviewing if they’ve been involved in any type of litigation and the reasons why. Besides poor workmanship, litigation can occur for other reasons.
Ask About Warranty Details
- When asking about a warranty, find out if it’s a contractor’s warranty, or if it’s a company’s warranty. Roofing contractors should give you a warranty providing at least two years for workmanship.
- If the warranty is a manufacturer’s warranty, be sure you ask if the warranty covers materials, as well as workmanship. Some company warranties only cover materials.
- Ask for a sample copy of a warranty that a contractor proposes.
- Find out if a roofing contractor or company has a permanent business facility. If so, this can be a good indication of being in business for a while and isn’t a “fly-by-night” operation.
- Besides having a permanent address, check to see if a roofer or roofing company has its own tax identification number and a business phone number as this can show that it’s secure and established.
Additional Considerations and Warnings
- Ask a contractor if the foreman will do more than just oversee the job, but will also work on it. Usually, foremen who have the sole job of supervision are able to handle problems more efficiently than if they were part of the work crew.
- Consider that selecting a roofer with the lowest bid doesn’t mean you’re getting the best choice in a roofer. Although sometimes high quality contractors do offer considerably lower estimates, this is unusual. You generally get what you pay for.
- Choose a local roofer over one that isn’t based in your vicinity. This is because local roofers know your area, so they’re able to obtain the proper permits and know what’s trendy in roof products and styles in your neighborhood. They’re also more familiar with the local installation codes of your community, such as homeowner association rules.
- Ask for ten or more references from a contractor. Then, choose at least three of them to call for learning about a roofer’s quality of service.
For more information, don’t hesitate to call BRAX Roofing. In addition to roofing, we offer a wide range of high-quality home improvement services, such as siding, doors, windows, and custom gutters. Please contact us.
Contact Us for a Free Estimate
What to Expect When
You Choose Our Team
We’re Committed to You
Every Step of the Way
- Meet to discuss your project and free estimate.
- Select materials and colors for the look you want.
- Arrange payment through financing or your insurance.
- Install new roofing, siding, or gutters for amazing results.
- Ensure you’re 100% satisfied with our services.