Top Roof Repairs To Make Before Selling Your Home in DC
Are you preparing to move? Before you list your home for sale, it pays to invest in certain home improvement projects that can boost resale value and help your property appeal to buyers. One such improvement is repairing or replacing your roof. Use this guide to help you decide if it’s worth investing in a roof repair or replacement before you move and, if so, what repairs should be your top priorities.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Roof Before Selling Your Home?
You should consider this home improvement project if your roof is leaky, saggy, or has visibly damaged shingles. It’s also worth scheduling an inspection with a roofing company in DC if your roof is over 20 years old. A home appraiser will undoubtedly check out the roof, and if they notice problems, they will likely lower your home’s valuation and recommend repairing the roof.
Fixing the roof before you move is an investment, but it could help you complete the sale faster. After all, a move-in ready home is a big selling point for many buyers not interested in making home repairs right after moving.
Marketing your home as having a brand-new roof also gives you an edge over the competition and may allow you to boost your asking price. On average, installing a new roof offers a 60% return on investment, making it one of the better ROIs for home improvement projects before moving.
What Roof Repairs Should You Prioritize?
A perfectly functional roof may not require a complete replacement before you move, but a few essential repairs can go a long way toward satisfying home appraisers and prospective buyers. Here’s what to tackle before putting your home on the market:
- Water damage repair: If weak areas of your roof have leaked water into the attic, rotted the fascia board, or caused other structural damage, you should act quickly. Every downpour or snowstorm only compounds the damage for as long as the roof leaks. This means a timely roof repair can save you from more expensive remediation later. Plus, a home inspection report that cites water damage or mold will likely go poorly with potential buyers.
- Shingle repair: Is your roof missing a significant number of shingles? Can you tell that the shingles are damaged, even from the ground? These are telltale signs that you should repair your roof before selling your home.
- Flashing repair: Flashing is a thin metal material used to waterproof leak-prone areas around the chimney, skylights, and other roof penetrations. If the flashing is in bad shape, leaks will follow, so this roof repair should be a high priority.
- Roof decking repair: The decking is made up of wood boards installed beneath the shingles. Because it acts as the foundation for your entire roof system, soft spots or sagging could spell disaster. Remember that significant damage to the roof deck could warrant a complete roof replacement.
Schedule Roof Repair or Replacement in the DC Metro Area
If you decide repairing your roof is what’s best, choose BRAX Roofing. Our exterior home specialists will begin the work with a thorough inspection of your shingles, flashing, decking, and other roof components. If we spot anything needing attention, we’ll recommend the most cost-effective solution and provide a free, upfront estimate. We are committed to making your roof repair as affordable as possible with flexible financing, valuable coupons, and discounts for seniors and military members. Your 100% satisfaction is guaranteed, so you can confidently call us!
Contact Us for a Free Estimate
What to Expect When
You Choose Our Team
We’re Committed to You
Every Step of the Way
- Meet to discuss your project and free estimate.
- Select materials and colors for the look you want.
- Arrange payment through financing or your insurance.
- Install new roofing, siding, or gutters for amazing results.
- Ensure you’re 100% satisfied with our services.